Natural mineral makeup: advantages and disadvantages
In recent years there has been an increase in the number of people using natural cosmetics, especially those who switch to mineral makeup. The benefits of mineral makeup have been widely discussed, and most women have tried them at least once.
Mineral makeup is lightweight and therefore a very good alternative to heavy conventional makeup types. While it’s true that mineral-based makeup works wonders for most skin types, it may not be suitable for everyone.
Let’s look at both sides of the coin, as there are pros and cons for every product on the market. While the benefits of wearing mineral makeup far outweigh the cons, it helps to know both. This leads to being able to make an informed decision.
Advantages of mineral makeup
• Natural base – Since all mineral products are based on ingredients found in the core of the Earth, they are all natural. Using any natural product instead of a chemical one has already been shown to be beneficial for the skin. This makes mineral cosmetics the perfect choice for everyone.
• Lightweight and non-sticky: Since mineral makeup is powder-based and lightweight, it does not result in a heavily made-up look. The sheer coverage it provides helps your skin glow without having to pile up too much makeup.
• Properties of sunscreens: Mineral products are natural and effective sunscreens, as the dust particles help deflect the sun’s rays. Contents like titanium oxide and iron oxide also act as effective sun protection, saving your skin from the damaging effects of sun exposure such as premature wrinkles and dark spots.
• Anti-inflammatory ingredients: Most mineral products contain an ingredient called zinc oxide, which is an excellent anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory agent. This same property of mineral-based makeup makes it very safe to use for almost all skin types, especially those who are allergic to chemicals.
Disadvantages of mineral makeup
• Different brands, different ingredients: All brands of mineral cosmetics may not be suitable for people with sensitive skin, as some brands may sell products that contain chemicals or preservatives. This could cause skin rashes in certain people, so be sure to check the ingredients listed on the product before purchasing. Also, certain brands do not include sun protection properties in their makeup range, so be sure to choose a brand that guarantees the same.
• Higher cost: mineral cosmetic is usually more expensive than conventional makeup. While the benefits of mineral makeup definitely make it worth investing in, most of us may not be able to afford to switch to this type of makeup entirely.